Thursday 8 September 2016

Pincushions... drawing with thread

Mini Pincushions... free-motion applique, drawing with thread 


I really must start this post by saying that my latest passion, drawing with thread has been inspired by a lovely book 'Sew Illustrated' by Minky Kim and Kirstin Esser. I had seen wonderful work by Minky on Pinterest and had greatly admired it, I love the sketched look to it all, the combination of the fabric and the thread drawing is really so appealing to me.
So I bought the book and started a few small projects from it and was soon slightly obsessed with it all.
The pincushions are adorable and quick to make I have added my own slant to them making them slightly bigger and adding a band of fabric to the bottom. I do all my work free-motion so I sew with the feed dogs down, you need a firm hand and you move the work around rather than the machine pushing it through for you.



My illustrations are not perfect but I personally like that sketched look, a little bit quirky.


You can see I have added a little tape tag to one side and backed them with different fabric.
Anything goes really and a 4'' square of fabric uses all ones scraps.
The little sewing machine pattern is from the book but as you may notice I have a left handed sewing machine... silly of me forgot to mirror image it. The other patterns are my own, the cats are my favourite but the little potted plants are sweet too. 






Fun and simple to make and I have a garden fete coming up in the summer, its a fundraiser for the children's hospital... these will go well on my little stall.

Happy sewing
Glenis


6 comments:

  1. Glenis! These are the sweetest things I've seen in a long time. They TOTALLY made me smile this morning! Well done as always! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's for visiting Taunja, they are sweet and simple and we have had cold weather lately... a spring southerly storm so I hang out in the sewing room.
      Glenis

      Delete
  2. I love these so much! I especially love your own designs and the fabric strip on the bottom. Adorable! I'm so pleased that you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's kirstin, your book is lovely the little projects are the sweetest and I intend to make most of them. Thanks for taking the time to comment I appreciate it.
      Glenis

      Delete
  3. Love all your work! The little cats have a special personality xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Ali for stopping by and taking the time to comment, it means a lot in the blogging world.
      Glenis

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...